I got nothing :(

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM
provided sample, blank blue screen.

I can see the texture getting created;
'Created Char Table 0 in 256 x 256'

But when I uncommented the write (TextBlockRenderer line 256ish) the .png was blank. I'm not sure this was suppose to work, but trying to find what may be happening.

Any ideas?
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Hi,

could you please post your system's information? Especially OS, graphics card and special visual preferences if applicable (e.g. changed DPI values).
I assume you haven't changed anything in the sample code except for the line that writes the png file?
Is the file just blank (with the correct dimensions) or is it completely empty (i.e. 0x0 px or 0 bytes file size)?
You could try to uncomment line 177 of the TextBlockRenderer (where the render target is cleared to black) and see if the resulting texture is really black (and maybe contains some characters).

Nico
Oct 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM
System is a fairly modern one; Windows 8.1 64bit, evga/Nvidia gtx 690, driver 331.58, 24" monitor, nothing special settings wise. SSD based. Jan 12 SlimDX.
Sample as supplied, except un-commenting.
Image is 256px X 256px, 32 bit depth (384 bytes)

Un-commenting the clear and the SaveTextureToFile resulted in the same - blank image.

I'm really pretty new to slimDX DX11, but some decent old DX9 experience. So in trying to use this, I went ahead and added it to my current project.

When I enable it, it affects colors, everything comes out bright white. I'm not sure why, even though it still does not produce any on screen text there either. In that project I am using it with/in WPF so the message pump is a bit different, but I think it should be ok. I did notice at that point that your FX file (SpriteShader.fx) was NOT set to 'copy if newer', so I made that change to your sample. It had no effect. Ahh, ok I see what you are doing with it now, never mind.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I can reproduce your problem on another Windows 8.1 machine. I could swear that it worked on the very same machine with Windows 8.
I'll investigate this problem. Let's hope it is not a general Windows 8.1 problem.
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time with it. If I can help any let me know.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Nov 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Hi spiked,

I'm sorry it took so long. Today I was able to work around the problem. It was probably due to concurrent access to the shared resource. The current workaround saves the texture to a temporary stream. Not a nice solution, but it works. If anyone has another idea, feel free to contact me.
The new release is already uploaded and should fix your issues.

Nico
Marked as answer by Nico201 on 1/26/2015 at 11:07 PM
Nov 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Nico,

Thanks. I verified the texture is now correct (after updating the variable name in the commented code), and your sample does run now.

My code still fails, but it's obviously something different with the way WPF is pumping/sharing - i'll look into it more.

Thanks, again.